| Thom Gunn -The annihilation of nothing- |
| Saturday, October 01, 2005 |
The annihilation of nothing Thom Gunn (England, 1929 - 2004)
Nothing remained: Nothing, the wanton name That nightly I rehearsed till led away To a dark sleep, or sleep that held one dream.
In this a huge contagious absence lay, More space than space, over the cloud and slime, Defined but by the encroachments of its sway.
Stripped to indifference at the turns of time, Whose end I knew, I woke without desire, And welcomed zero as a paradigm.
But now it breaks - images burst with fire Into the quiet sphere where I have bided, Showing the landscape holding yet entire:
The power that I envisaged, that presided Ultimate in its abstract devastations, Is merely change, the atoms it divided
Complete, in ignorance, new combinations. Only an infinite finitude I see In those peculiar lovely variations.
It is despair that nothing cannot be Flares in the mind and leaves a smoky mark Of dread. Look upward. Neither firm nor free, Purposeless matter hovers in the dark.
La aniquilación de nada
Nada quedaba; Nada, el nombre protervo Que cada noche repetía hasta ser arrastrado A un sopor oscuro o sopor que contenía un sueño.
En él había una enorme ausencia contagiosa, Más espacio que el espacio, sobre la nube y el fango, Sólo demarcada por las intrusiones de su poder.
Reducido a la indiferencia ante los cambios del tiempo, Cuyo fin conocía, me despertaba sin deseo Y agasajaba el cero como un paradigma.
Pero ahora se rompe: las imágenes estallan con fuego En la tranquila esfera donde he residido, Mostrando el paisaje que aún se mantiene entero;
El poder que yo concebía, que presidía Esencial en sus devastaciones abstractas, Es simplemente cambio, los átomos que dividía
Completan, en la ignorancia, nuevas combinaciones. Sólo una infinita finitud veo En esas peculiares variaciones atrayentes.
Es la desesperación de que la nada no puede ser Lo que destella en la mente y deja una marca humeante De espanto. Levanta la vista. Ni firme ni libre, La materia sin sentido está suspendida en la oscuridad.Labels: Thom Gunn |
posted by Alfil @ 3:45 PM  |
|
|
|